After my hold, Audrey started to have more spells. So no more chances to hold her for me. Or for Geoff, who hadn’t had a chance yet. In addition to the spells, she continued to struggle with feeding intolerance and her weight continued to drop, finally reaching 760 grams (1 lb 10 ounces) in the evening of November 28th.
When we arrived the next morning and phoned in, we were asked to wait outside. When we finally got to go in, Erin was at her bedside with a doctor.
We were told that her spells had increased. Erin, who knew her very well by this time, had noticed that she looked lethargic and wasn’t as active as normal. They had just performed a “full septic work up” which included a lumbar puncture (spinal tap). They were looking for various infections, sepsis, meningitis. She would be started on strong antibiotics; which would be discontinued if the results came back negative.
We would have to wait 48 hours for a diagnosis. They spoke in hopeful terms, but I could tell that they thought the results would be positive. I didn’t know how I was going to get through the next 2 days.
That evening, her weight suddenly jumped right back up to 830 grams, a highlight in an otherwise difficult day. But the spells continued. The following day, she was intubated and put back onto the ventilator.